“Weeping Woman with Handkerchief” by: Pablo Picasso, 1937
Principles of Design
- Balance/ Unity – The painting is asymmetrical because the woman’s handkerchief balances with the traditional matronly mantilla.
- Emphasis – The abstract of the distorted face catches the viewers attention.
- Movement/ Rhythm – The movement of the chin and her eyes shows that she is crying.
- Pattern/ Repetition – The artist included lots of curved shapes and triangles, for example in the neck, mantilla, eyes and nose.
- Contrast – Picasso uses warm colors with neutral colors and odd shapes such as the eye tear drops and nostrils.